Cachexia is a complex syndrome associated with an underlying illness that causes ongoing muscle loss, also referred to as a wasting syndrome. A range of diseases can cause cachexia, most commonly cancer, congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic kidney disease and AIDS. A widely accepted definition of cachexia has historically been limited therefore progress in identification, treatment and research has been lacking.
This report provides the current prevalence of Cachexia across 27 Major Markets (USA, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Brazil, Japan, China, South Korea, Turkey, Mexico, Denmark, Argentina, Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, The Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Switzerland, Austria) split by gender and 5-year age cohort. Along with the current prevalence, the report also contains a disease overview of the risk factors, disease diagnosis and prognosis along with specific variations by geography and ethnicity.
Providing a value-added level of insight from the analysis team at Black Swan, several of the main symptoms and co-morbidities of have been quantified and presented alongside the overall prevalence. These sub-populations within the main disease are also included at a country level across the 10-year forecast snapshot.
Main symptoms and co-morbidities associated with cachexia include:
- Muscle wasting
- Weight loss
- Severe weakness or loss of strength and low energy level
- Anaemia (low red blood cells)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- End stage renal disease
This report is built using data and information sourced from the proprietary Epiomic patient segmentation database. To generate accurate patient population estimates, the Epiomic database utilises a combination of several world class sources that deliver the most up to date information from patient registries, clinical trials and epidemiology studies. All the sources used to generate the data and analysis have been identified in the report.
Reason to buy
- Able to quantify patient populations in global cachexia market to target the development of future products, pricing strategies and launch plans.
- Gain further insight into the incidence of the subdivided types of cachexia and identify patient segments with high potential.
- Delivery of more accurate information for clinical trials in study sizing and realistic patient recruitment for various countries.
- Provide a level of understanding on the impact from specific co-morbid conditions on cachexia prevalence.
- Identify sub-populations within cachexia which require treatment.
- Gain an understanding of the specific markets that have the largest number cachexia patients.